The newly-opened Performing Arts Center, located on the campus of Menlo-Atherton (M-A) High School, serves as a special gathering place for the students of M-A High School as well as Menlo Park, Atherton and the extended community. The PAC was financed by bond measures in 2001, 2004 and 2007 and funding from the City of Menlo Park. The PAC brings a much-needed performance venue for the students of M-A, as well as the Menlo Park, Atherton and surrounding communities. It provides outstanding opportunities for M-A’s diverse student body as well as community members to participate in the arts.
Inspired by the beauty of the historical grove of Valley Oak trees on campus, the 31,000-square-foot, 65-foot-high building has been carefully designed and landscaped to create a tree house-like environment and the impression it is following the contours of an already existing hillside.
Highlights of the PAC include:
- A 492-seat theatre
- Professional quality sound and lighting
- A 150-capacity multi-use space
- Rehearsal and music rooms
- A lobby and box office
- A stagecraft workshop for production of scenery and props
- A glass-enclosed multi-use/cafeteria space.
- A professional-caliber fly tower for raising and lowering scenery
- An orchestra lift to convert the stage for various types of productions
- An orchestra pit accommodating up to 80 musicians
- A robust lighting system with two catwalks for optimal control;
- State-of-the-art acoustics and a professional, sound-proof control booth
- A range of energy efficient and sustainable features