skip to main content

Course Selection FAQ


How many classes will I take at M-A?

  • Most students at M-A take six classes.  Students who qualify for special programs may take seven classes in one or more years.  Seniors who are on track for graduation may take five classes, though it is not recommended for students applying to four year colleges and universities.  

Who gets to take seven classes?  

  • Programs or courses that qualify students for a 7th Class include the following:

    • Support Programs - English support (based on placement testing), Math support (placement testing), AVID, Study Skills (w/IEP only)

    • Performing Arts Electives - Choral, Band, Orchestra, Drama, Stagecraft

    • Other Electives - Leadership, Digital Filmmaking, 3D Modeling and Animation, Food and Nutrition, Wood

Should I enroll in an AP class?

  • Enrollment in an Advanced Placement (AP) class reflects the student’s understanding of the rigor and responsibilities associated with the course.  Families who are not able to support their students in these courses should seek course or level changes during appropriate windows.

What if my first choice course request is full?

  • Several popular courses have been oversubscribed for the last few years. A lottery will be held for courses where this is the case.  Students need to have alternatives in case his/her first choice is not available.

How do I change my schedule?

  • The answer depends on the situation:

    • Errors/misplacement:  If your schedule is incorrect due to a staff or computer error (ie, 2 PE classes, missing English class, taking a class that was already passed), please contact your Counselor as soon as possible [e-mail or come in before school, at brunch, lunch or after school].

    • Level change:  If you find, in the first six weeks of a semester, that a class is too challenging, it may be possible to accommodate a level change.  Please contact your Counselor for more information.

    • Elective change:  If you want to change an elective class, including a science, math, or world language class not required for graduation, we are not able to accommodate these changes after priority deadline in April of the previous school year. (Course selection occurs from January to April in the prior school year and students had the opportunity to change their course requests before the priority deadline in April.)  

How do I drop a class?

  • There are two drop deadlines each semester at M-A.  The first deadline is for students to drop a class without penalty, usually about four weeks after the semester starts.  The second deadline is for students to drop a class with a penalty, meaning that a “WP” (Withdraw Pass- no impact on GPA) or “WF” (Withdraw Fail- factors into GPA same as an F) will appear on the transcript.  This deadline is usually about ten weeks after the semester starts.

What if I disagree with a course placement?

  • If a family wishes to change the level of a course when the student does not meet requirements per placements charts or course prerequisite, they must communicate with a High School Counselor to complete a SUHSD waiver.  The parent/guardian and student who complete the waiver confirm their understanding that they are going against the recommended placement.  Once a waiver has been submitted, the student cannot revert to the former schedule or waived class until the start of the next semester, if space permits.

Can I change my teacher/period of a class?

  • M-A has over 2,450 students making it impossible to accommodate requests for a specific teacher or period of a class.  If you are struggling with a specific teacher, there is a process for resolving the conflict. Please see your Counselor for assistance.